This Is How Our Planning Process Works & What You Can Expect to Get Out of It
We know “strategic planning” sounds corporate.
But let’s put the terminology aside. Why should you work on your ministry strategy and build action plans? There’s a very good—a very biblical—reason for it:
When you make vision actionable, you can empower people in your congregation to do the work of the ministry.
We’ve written before about what strategic planning with our team really feels like. I’d encourage you to read that if you’re on the fence about whether or not your team would enjoy working with us.
But if you’re interested in the tangible outcomes, let us outline here the planning phase of our Unstuck Process.When you make vision actionable, you can empower people in your congregation to do the work of the ministry. Click To Tweet
Make the vision plain: Where are we going and how are we going to get there?
The win for this phase of our process is that you define a 5-Year Vision with measurable goals and a clear path forward for action. And, we focus on getting you executing and achieving wins in the first 90 days.
1. You go back to basics to clarify your purpose as a church for the whole team.
Starting with Scripture and a focused time of prayer, your team will reflect on your purpose and the biblical bedrock for why you exist as a church.
2. We explore your ministry’s reach—today and its potential—based on where God has placed your church.
Leveraging our curated report on the demographics of your specific community, you will clarify exactly who is in your mission field. Through a series of facilitated discussions, you’ll identify who you believe God has called you to reach, what’s important to them, and how your church will respond.
3. You’ll build your Discipleship Path.
Your team will find common language to answer the question “What is a disciple?” as well as a shared understanding of how your church will help people take their next steps towards Christ.
4. We’ll help you name your Growth Engines and assign a champion.
We help you determine the 3-4 core growth engines of your church—the ministries, events and/or strategies that help you grow your Kingdom impact and reach more people. You will identify a champion for each growth engine and map a plan for next steps to grow your reach.
- How to Assess Your Ministry’s Health: This is How We Approach It.
- Leading an Unstuck Church Course
- How to Stick to Your Strategic Plan
5. You’ll craft a 5-Year Vision.
Your team will shape a clear and specific vision for where you believe God is calling the church to be five years from now.
6. We’ll help you identify 3-5 key behaviors you need reflected on your team to drive the culture you are trying to create within the church.
This exercise will also help set the foundation for the Structure Phase of the process.
7. You’ll build a system to monitor church health.
We’ll help you create a ministry health dashboard to monitor key vital signs (metrics), track the culture-shaping behaviors and monitor progress on priority objectives.
8. We’ll help you break down everything that needs action to accomplish the future vision.
Then, we’ll help you prioritize the three action steps you need to make over the next three months. In this part of the process, we assist you in developing a regular 90-Day Action Plan rhythm, so that you begin creating greater accountability for follow-through. This helps you teach your team how to execute on quarterly cycles.
9. We’ll coach you as you lead change.
Your plans will likely involve the need to lead your congregation through some significant changes. We provide coaching for your leaders and share best practices as you begin implementing your plan.